I you use screen shots constantly to share bits of information with people, and for troubleshooting, here is HowTo about taking screen shots via Terminal for advanced users.
The screen capture will then appear in the directory that the command was executed.
- You can take screenshots from the command line by using the screencapture utility:
- If you want to open the screencapture in Preview immediately after being taken, type:
screencapture -P test.jpg
- You can also take screenshots silently, without the sound playing with -x:
screencapture -x silentscreenshot.jpg
- If you would like to have a delay added to when the screenshot is taken use -T followed by a number of seconds:
screencapture -T 3 delayedpic.jpg
- Specifying a file type is easy with the -t flag:
screencapture -t pdf pdfshot.pdf
- Naturally you can combine them all together:
screencapture -xt pdf -T 4 pic.jpg
- You can get a full list of screen capture flags by typing: